Wiki meta-content (GoArch pages) development

Let's use this thread to discuss the content that needs to be developed for the upcoming MediaWiki migration. The wiki itself will be hooked up to the primary forum database for user authentication and skinning once I've worked out the last of the kinks on the beta site, hopefully no later than Friday evening PST. Until I get that done, we can chat here and start drafting some preliminary material. Where we can get existing Archive articles organized in advance of the mass migration, let's do that for the time being.

We need content for the following pages on MediaWiki:

Help:Contents

This is where most of the help documentation ends up going on other wikis. Stuff like "this is how you use Wiki markup" and "this is how you use the wiki to find what you're looking for"-type stuff. As an example, this is Wikipedia's Help:Contents page. I don't expect us to host a comprehensive guide to Wiki markup (that's a lot of work to duplicate), but some pointers and tips on the simple things (like basic text formatting, how to link to other pages, maybe some template usage guides) and how to get around the Archive would be welcome.

GoArch:About

This is a slightly lower-priority page, but it would be nice to get a good About statement going on here.

GoArch:Guides and Policies

There are a few things already somewhat laid out in the Policies and Guidelines category in the IP.Content wiki, but these will need to be overhauled for the new MediaWiki site to take into account the differences in markup, formatting, and functionality. For instance, the Guide:Formatting* pages can be largely replaced with MediaWiki Template:* pages. We can discuss here what exactly we want all of these pages to be named, but they'll all have the GoArch "project" prefix.

I'd also like to get a style and conventions guide put together, which we can develop using this skeleton, most of which I appropriated from other fandom wikis (BSG Wiki and Memory Alpha in particular) as a jumping-off point and then lost momentum developing. Where policies need to be established, let's split those out into their own topics for discussion here.

Main_Page

This is currently just the default "Thank you for installing MediaWiki!" material. We should sort out what to put on the main page of the Archive so that it's actually useful and immediately informative, 'cause this has always been something of a weakness for this site. Strictly speaking, it's a little bit outside the purview of the GoArch pages project itself, but I'm looking for suggestions on what we can feature there to hook folks.

It's a little behind schedule, but the Wiki is now connected to the primary GoArch site. Your login credentials should work for both the forum and the Wiki, so please let me know if you have problems logging in. For the time being, editing has been made available to everyone with or without a forum account, so even as a guest, you should be able to create and edit pages.

I'm working on figuring out why the WYSIWYG WikiEditor extension isn't working, so for now, you'll need to be fairly fluent in Wiki markup to get your edits done.

You can get to the Wiki by clicking on the "Wiki" link in the navigation bar. Once things have been largely migrated over, the Wiki link will replace the current Archive link.