MORE questions about RAWA's Disclaimers

RubyODegee

So, maybe the Guild of Imaginists sits right in the middle.

The GoA keeps track of Stories, as they become 'archiveable'. The GoFA is where the storytellers can hang out and talk about their art. And the GoI lets people know who what when as far as active story goes.

I am beginning to agree with you, and not just because you know where I sleep ;)

I think the issue here is that 'storytelling' in Uru has several definitions. But the one that I think we are discussing is Story. I think it's what we are all really reaching for, but I think it's one that no one has been able to define or talk about clearly, even Cyan.

The Art of Story is made up of the Arts of Being In Cavern and Expanding Canon. These are disciplines of speculative re-enactment (as opposed to historical re-enactment), role-playing, world building and community management. I think you use a lot of the skills the GoFA is talking about - acting, creative writing, etc. But I think that these arts can't be reduced to their component parts.

There needs to be a place where Authors (as opposed to authors), Imaginists or whatever you call them can gather, discuss and plan Story (not just story) and can get support for this art (which is vital to MORE) as an art itself, not just as a byproduct of other activities. Whether that place is a part of the Archivists, a part of the Fine Artists or an independent entity, I am not certain. But it needs to be considered on its own.

yep, Tweek, got any room(s)/pubs/libraries/shafts/broom closets at the Inn? I m not too picky at this point, or beggars can't be choosy or don't punch a gift horse in the mouth. If I stick to Clichés I won't confuse myself further.

As I mentioned previously I believe there is room at the GoFA for this, by specifying what it is that will be needed means that section can be set up to how it would best suit those who use it. Whether you call it Storylines, Story Tellers, Authors it amounts to the same thing in nature, what it's actually called isn't as important as the content within.

Yes, I get it. Can't say it back to you either, Blade, but I get it. ;) Guess that's all that counts, eh?

Edited by ghaelen

Lookit you, Zardoz, whipping out the awesome library analogies ;). Well said, though I guess we'll see how this whole thing pans out...

I'll pipe in here to restate what I think the current situation is:

1. GOA and storytellers are not the same organization

2. DPWR will gladly host the storytellers (but see #3)

3. DPWR will not provide the secrecy that storytellers desire

4. Storytellers may be happier somewhere else

The reason why #3 is true I am not certain of. It may be from Alahmnat's desire for GOA to be as transparent as possible considering the gravity of its involvement in FCAL and MORE. Alternately, it may be a position that Almahnat has taken regarding DPWR in general. Hidden boards by definition mean that some people can't see some things, which means someone is some how deciding who is IN and who is OUT.

More accurately, in regards to #3, is that DPWR in its current state can't provide the secrecy that storytellers desire to the degree that it seems would be necessary. I could set up a private forum and opt people into it without any difficulty, but everything within that forum would be open to viewing and discussion by those with permissions to access it, which I gather may still be a bit too "public" for some people's preferences (if I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me). What I had pictured was a more privacy-oriented solution where storytellers could collaborate privately in small groups (akin to Zardoz's coffee and pastry shop musings), with very restrictive access to those nitty-gritty planning discussions, managed by the storytellers that started the discussion. The forum here just doesn't have that level of granular access control built into it (phpBB3 seems to be a bit more advanced than IPB in this regard, which I know Tweek is using over at the GoFA; another reason I brought this up). If this is well beyond the requirements of those here interested in using DPWR as a base for storytelling, please let me know. I hope Tweek doesn't take it as a territory incursion, but I can certainly set up a separate private storytelling planning forum for those interested in utilizing it and are more comfortable here than at the GoFA, if that's all that is needed.

The point I mean to reemphasize is that GOA is not trying to arbitrarily drive storytellers away, but rather thinks they might be happier somewhere else. I, and probably others, would encourage collaboration between storytellers and GOA, but one is neither the same nor meets all the needs of the other.

Yeah, pretty much that. If I'm wrong, and the folks already here wish to carry out their storytelling planning in a way that this site can support, I'm happy to have you and help you. I'm just trying to make sure everyone's needs can be met satisfactorily. Since the GoFA was discussing the possibility of putting storytelling under their umbrella before Tweek started their planning forum, I figured I'd start the discussions to see which way people wanted to go with that.

Perhaps, as Tweek suggests, a useful thing to do would be to poll the storytellers here and see what you guys want/need in terms of site architecture in order for you to do your thing. From there, we can make better determinations on what would be the best place for you to ply your craft.

Perhaps, as Tweek suggests, a useful thing to do would be to poll the storytellers here and see what you guys want/need in terms of site architecture in order for you to do your thing. From there, we can make better determinations on what would be the best place for you to ply your craft.

Okay, I get it. You want me to take my tinker cart and get on out'a here.

I did. I moved the darn thing over toTweek's GOFA parking lot. When he opens the gate to feed the cats, I'll rush right on in, before he notices the dust left by my tracks.

You on the other hand aren't getting off so easy either. I intend to stay put here too. (As a former member the Students of D'ni Knowledge) and the bakers of the Kirel Baked Treats & Fruitcakes, it is my intention to remain close to the source of research. I need to be sure my stories are not causing canon alarm. There is no better way to learn than to learn while making judgments about other explorer's work. :blink:

The guild (other than the GoM) who is going to be the most distressed I've decided to stay will be the Guild of Writers. Thanks to Tweek's (average Joe explorer) "I LEARNED HOW TO MAKE AN AGE IN BLENDER, AND IT WAS READY IN A WEEK!" I decided to purchase 3dsMax. It will no doubt take me a coon's age to learn it, but I am actually enjoying the pursuit. Now I just need to make some cross connections with my old storytelling, or should I say situation setting up buddies, and off we go. If it is even 1/4 as much fun as it was last summer, it will be great times and a great education to boot.

Thanks again for even entertaining the notion of offering the not really I/C and not really OOC crowd out. It's always dangerous to do so. :laugh:

Edited by RubyODegee