Photo

Moving my Archive to The Archive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnLynch

JohnLynch
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

So my site created way back in 2003 has information not available here. I wanted to make sure y'all would be okay with the information being moved over completely? Here are some sections I've got that you don't (that I can see):
* Ae'gura and Bevin book
* Gahreesen Training Wall book
* Everything in the Website Part
* The Entire Area Approvals Section
* Most of my forum posts
* My Photos Section
* Some of my KI Messages
* Fax to Zandi
* Journey E-mail
* Most of my Transcripts

Now obviously some of that can be moved over no problem (such as the Training Wall book, although I'd think you have it somewhere), however some parts such as the Photo Section, Website Section, forum posts, etc, aren't as obvious. Do you want to have these things on your site?

If you do, how do we go about converting it? For example I've got my transcripts edited somewhat to get rid of extraneous chatter, and for formatting issues (I removed timestamps and colour coded people's names). Is this how you prefer it? Or would you want the raw chatlogs?

#2 BladeLakem

BladeLakem

Liaison: Guild of Messengers

• Librarian
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

I think that's a very good idea. Though I can't answer how things should be formatted, or how chatlogs should be handled, etc.

#3 Horatio252

Horatio252
  • Guild Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I would be very excited to have your information kept in the Archive. My only concern is that you are careful to use tags, and the correct ones, as you transfer information. I am fairly certain that all of the tags that you need already exist (i.e. "Chat Logs" "DRC Research" "Journals" "Notes" "KI Messages" "Official Communication" "Speeches"), but it is not too difficult for Alahmnat to make new ones. If you have any concerns about what tags make sense for what information, let us know. Oh, and while you are tagging your articles, be sure to add a source tag ("Uru Live", "Uru Live: Prologue", "Uru: Complete Chronicles") for things that come straight out of the games. Considering the volume of information we are talking about, I say that for things that don't come out of the games or books, don't worry about sources for.

While there is a certain thoroughness to having the raw chatlogs, I am inclined to favor having the edited chatlogs. I like your transcript format, and as we currently have only one chat log, you are welcome to just copy them over as they are and we can change the one chat log we already have. I am not as well versed on the technical side, but I think you might lose your color coding, and I expect that recoding might be time consuming, so don't stress about that.

I trust you to make intelligent decisions in transferring your information over, but don't be afraid to ask for guidance or help. Also, feel free to add to entries we already have if you have additional information.
Guild Master

MOULa KI: 00214606

#4 Fallstar

Fallstar
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:Work...Sleep...Forum...Work...Sleep...Forum...eat...Work...Sleep...Forum...Work...Sleep...Forum...

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Cool site there! I think it would be awesome to incorporate your information with the current dpwr archives! If you need help with archive features and formatting, you might want to send a PM to Alahmnat...although he's probably not going to be available much for this week, since he's going to Mysterium (this coming weekend).
D'ni Tin Hat Society Grand Poobah
Note to Self

#5 JohnLynch

JohnLynch
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

Thanks guys. In that case you're all welcome to copy the info over yourselves wink.gif I might try to do a few, but it'd be probably be better if everyone got stuck into it smile.gif Although we might want to wait on the forum posts because I'm not sure how you'd sort or post those over.

Edited by JohnLynch, 21 July 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#6 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(Fallstar @ Jul 21 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
although he's probably not going to be available much for this week, since he's going to Mysterium (this coming weekend).

Yeah, that. JL, I'm totally in favor of expanding the Archive with any info you have on your site. When I'm back from Mysterium next week, I'll have a little bit more time to work with you on some of the specific issues you brought up in your first post... until then, our doors are open smile.gif.

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users