Canon/Continuity in Star Wars

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert The Rebuilder

Robert The Rebuilder
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi all!

I came across an article in Wired regarding the very GoA-like role of Leland Chee, who maintains the canon of Star Wars for Lucasfilm. Here's the link:

http://www.wired.com...f_starwarscanon

I mentioned it here because it not only discusses the issues that Chee faces in maintaining canon, but also describes other such efforts beginning with Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels. [They also used the term "apocryphal" to apply to non-canon items.]

#2 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Is there any conceivable way I could get paid for doing this guy's job in this fandom? wink.gif

In all seriousness though, I think a few of the concepts of Chee's "Holocron" database would not go amiss here... most notably the "canonicity level" flag. Now I just have to figure out how to implement them and so on. It seems this place is always a step behind Cyan in where it need to be, feature-wise... *sigh*

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

#3 BladeLakem

BladeLakem

Liaison: Guild of Messengers

• Librarian
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

We can note flags in the docs themselves until the site can support it in terms of flags and such. I think we need to sit down and decide how we are handling some of these things conceptually and then worry about forum/archive implementation.

#4 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

I'm definitely going to need to extend the functionality of the Archive module in ways that probably go well beyond the original focus of the module creator (which wasn't me, heh) regardless of the specific implementation... for the canonicity flag I was thinking of just building another drop-down into the posting form that could be populated with whatever values we want ("Word of RAWA", "Apocryphal", "Extended Canon", etc.), and then extending the search function to enable searching on that field.

Methinks I'm going to pop off and start a thread shortly on what the Archive needs, feature-wise and conceptually, to properly support the impending Myst EU.

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users