Photo

Calling all Remaining Archivists

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Wheeler

Marcus Wheeler
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hello. To anyone who doesn't know me, or hasn't met me in-game over the recent months, my name is Marcus Wheeler. I've been a part of Uru since the tail-end days of Until Uru and the later half of its existence under GameTap.

From an outside perspective, it would appear as if the majority of Archivists who were here during the Guild's heyday have fallen off or splintered into other groups and interests.

There have been a few things going on as of late, particularly the Guild Fair and All Guilds' Meetings taking place each month in Kirel (as Leonardo kindly posted here). However, that isn't all that's been happening. Recently, I've been working on a wide list of projects behind the scenes, many concerning on the Guild of Maintainers, and I wanted to stop by and see if anyone remains.

If anyone, any Archivists, from newer members to the old Guild Masters, still frequent these forums and are still active in MO:ULa, please, please post here or send me a PM. If only to keep in touch, it would be nice to see that some of the people of this massive Guild still exist and are around in the Cavern somewhere.

With all due respect,
~M. Wheeler
Member of the Guild of Maintainers

#2 Horatio252

Horatio252
  • Guild Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

Mr Wheeler,

I remain. As GoA has failed to revive with MOULa, despite my efforts, I have drifted away from URU. That said, I would be willing to put on my long robes again and wander back into the stacks. Let me know what activities you would welcome my participation in or at least keep me in the loop, either here or by PM.

Horatio
Guild Master

MOULa KI: 00214606

#3 Marcus Wheeler

Marcus Wheeler
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Hey Horatio.

I've been working with the GoMa to attempt to revitalize the group. Over the past few weeks, things have been slow, but we are planning on doing more in the future.

This, in my mind, entails restructuring the Guild system, re-establishing a Council, re-introducing the rank system and giving the Guild more to do in terms of work.

Yet in order to get this done, the GoMa needs more members.

I don't know if you've visited any of the Guild Fairs in Kirel each month, but this coming weekend, we will be having another. Basically, Saturday from 13:00 KI time onward, there is an All Guilds' Meeting where any Guild or Group can give a status update and talk about what they plan on doing in the future.

Normally, if people aren't at the All Guilds' Meeting, on Saturday and Sunday they can peruse the Guild tables and talk to each Guild one-on-one. They can find out anything about the Guilds, and possibly join if they believe they could be a useful addition to the Guild.

However, I've been talking with Leonardo from the Guild of Messengers, and I've brought him the idea of making Sunday an "event day" for the Guild Fair Weekend. Guilds and Groups could hold special events and prepare anything from games to speeches to rallies if they so choose.

This would take place during the October Fair onward. I have a great amount of respect for the Archivists, and honestly believe they should have been made one of the major Guilds during Kirel's inception into Uru Live. As such, I'd like to extend to you this offer, Horatio.

For the October Guild Fair, for the Event Sunday, I plan on having a GoMa Mass-Recruitment Drive. This would take place somewhere with a large user cap, perhaps Kirel, maybe a Neighborhood or even Ae'gura if necessary. I would like to ask if you would want to come to this Recruitment Drive and represent the Guild of Archivists.

I believe that you guys provided an invaluable service to the community. I'd love to see you return to the level of strength you had years ago. Please let me know if you'd be willing to come, either to the All Guilds' Meeting or to take part in the Recruitment Drive. Just as the GoMa needs a userbase to survive, I want to do anything I can to bring a new userbase to the GoA and perhaps renew its activity in the community as a whole.

I eagerly await your response.

#4 Horatio252

Horatio252
  • Guild Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

I am away from my computer most of this weekend and will miss the All Guilds Meeting, but thank you for the invite. As far as October and joining your recruitment drive I need to speak with my Grand Master, Alahmnat. As an individual and an Archivist I am free to do a great deal, but things which effect the Guild require his council. It is especially important that I talk with him as he has mentioned plans for software improvements to the site which may change some of how archiving is done. I want everything ready before we start recruiting new Archivists.

Your plans for change sound bold and exciting, yet not over top like some. I wish you the best and will try to help you.
Guild Master

#5 Marcus Wheeler

Marcus Wheeler
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thank you so much. I've been thinking on these topics for a long time, trying to make sure that while the changes I'm working on are big, they aren't necessarily ground-breaking, and will be mostly positive ones.

Whenever you get in touch with Alahmnat, feel free to let me know, or direct him over here.

In the meantime, though you aren't always In-Cavern, do you have a KI number I could reach you at?

#6 Horatio252

Horatio252
  • Guild Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

My KI number is in my signature. It's 00214606.
Guild Master

#7 Marcus Wheeler

Marcus Wheeler
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Horatio.

My KI number is 00062207. Feel free to update here, or KI-mail me in-game, whenever you get an update from Alahmnat.

In the meantime, I'm doing a few things over at the GoMa. Hopefully everything's going well with you.

See you soon, mate!

#8 Quiller Arc

Quiller Arc
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

I'm new to URU and to the Guild. I'm on both quite frequently.

Edited by Quiller Arc, 21 October 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#9 Quiller Arc

Quiller Arc
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

Is anyone alive here?

#10 Horatio252

Horatio252
  • Guild Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:18 AM

Hi Quiller,

Welcome to the Guild. I am around here sometimes, but, these days, I think GOA is dead or at least in a coma. We had some benefits in our heyday of being build on the shoulders of one man, Alahmnat, our dear Grand Master, but he has not been seen or heard from in six months. I lack the technical means, authority or really even the desire to take over. I will though try to pop in more over here. Let me know what you need. If you are really excited about our mission I can point you towards some things you can do. Maybe your zeal can reawaken mine. Also, PMing me here sends an e-mail to my real e-mail address and will be a way to get a faster response from me.

Horatio
Guild Master

#11 Quiller Arc

Quiller Arc
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for responding.
what would you say requires the most research? what area is this site somwhat lacking?

#12 Horatio252

Horatio252
  • Guild Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

Quiller,

I am unaware of any areas where we are missing articles or they are too short, but feel free to look up articles/topics that interest you and add to or edit them. Perhaps though you have found this page listing our current projects. The ones that have their planning complete are ready for you get started on. I would recommend fixing the duplicate king journals as it is the least likely to be affected by a site upgrade, which Alahmnat promised long ago. The people and age sidebars are thing I am most interested in, but Al said that the software upgrade would make that easier, so you might want to hold off until I find out how long until the upgrade.

I am sorry I don't have more to offer.

Horatio

P.S. I don't know how much you have looked around the forums here, but the most recent and important threads are these

http://www.dpwr.net/...?showtopic=5947

http://www.dpwr.net/...?showtopic=6109
Guild Master

#13 Marcus Wheeler

Marcus Wheeler
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

Glad to see a spark of activity over here on the side of the GoA!

Been busy with a lot of my work both IRL and with the Maintainers (most of which, regrettably, is hitting a wall) so I haven't visited the site in a few weeks.

Shame to hear that Al has slipped off the grid. Not entirely unexpected, but a bit discouraging to say the least.

Anyway, Quiller, nice to meet you and looking forward to seeing you in-Cavern sometime!

#14 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Dropping in way late with some notes on what can be done now, and what should be held off on until the upgrade is completed.

The following projects from the Archive Projects page can be worked on right now:
  • Chat Log Project
  • Citations
  • Group Pages
  • Proofing Revisions
  • Adding Images
  • Expanding Stubs

The upgrade will not significantly impact any of these projects by changing how they're carried out. The Sidebar projects are going to be much more involved, and be something that I'm going to be putting a lot of work into so that post-upgrade, they'll be FAR easier to manage and keep consistent. Because of that, please avoid working on the Sidebar projects until after the upgrade is complete and a full set of instructions can be assembled for using them.

The Duplicate Kings Entries project can be worked on now, but please bear in mind that more work will likely be required for the entries tagged with People once the sidebars are in place. Also on the subject of this project, I've corrected the link on the Archive Projects page to link to the correct discussion topic; it had been linking to the discussion thread for one of the timeline entries.

The Cross-Linking Information project is on hold for the moment because of the aforementioned work being done on the sidebars as part of the upgrade. Since a lot of the stuff we'd be cross-linking would ideally find itself in the sidebar, it seems like a good idea to put that off until the new sidebar features are built-in.

Longer-term, the FCAL and Extended Universe/Fan-Created Content Tag stuff is still something I'm interested in pursuing. Given the status of MOULa, however, it's something that will need a much closer and more deliberate look, with input and feedback from the Guilds of Writers and Maintainers.

I will try to make the next All Guilds Meeting in Kirel for a State of the Guild update. However, I tend to do a lot of catch-up sleeping on the weekend, so I can't guarantee my presence.

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

#15 ghaelen

ghaelen
  • Guild Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hi Al et all,

As promised, here I am to do my small bit for the Guild. I can work on the following:

Citations
Proofing Revisions
Adding Images

I can work pretty independently, once I know where to start. So, if someone can point me to that starting place, I'd be happy. I've looked about, but it's not intuitive, so I need a small walk-through. I'm happy to get on a chat or skype for a short instruction session. My schedule is pretty flexible for a while. I'll check back for responses. You can also pm me on the MOUL forum.

#16 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hey ghaelen,

The Archive can be a little intimidating at first. However, it works pretty much exactly like the forum in terms of writing material and using BBCode for formatting. When you find an article you want to edit (which you can do by browsing the list of tags here, or through the search link either in the Archive's sidebar or in the links at the top of the site), just click the "Edit Article" button at the top-right to get to the edit screen. Once there, just treat it like editing a post on the forum. BBCode works the same there as it does here smile.gif.

There's a few extra BBCode tags that do special things in the Archive, but generally speaking you won't need to use them that much just for making quick revisions. The one you may end up using most is the article BBCode tag to link to another article. Just follow the instructions in the Custom Tags box on the edit page to see how it's used.

There's also some guidelines in the Archive itself for things like formatting, which you can view by clicking here.

If you accidentally mess something up, don't panic. Just click on the Options button at the top-right and select "Article History". You'll see a list of revisions to the article, along with when they were made and by whom. Click the drop-down next to the revision just below the active one, and select "Revert". This will re-activate the non-messed-up version, and you can re-edit it again.

I'm currently working with OHB to build the Archive module that will be needed to complete the site upgrade, and which will ideally be bringing along some major functionality improvements at the same time. One of the things I'm hoping to significantly improve is citations, so you may want to hold off on focusing on those for the time being, just so we don't have a lot of work that needs to be redone before too long. I'll keep folks posted on what to expect regarding the upgrade as things progress.

As a suggestion on where to start, since the Archive is all kinds of amorphous right now, you might try expanding some of the articles tagged as stubs, or the articles that require images. Just start at the top and work on whatever strikes your fancy or expertise.

If you do expand a stub article enough that you think it's worthy of standing on its own, be sure to remove the "stub" template from the article text, and de-select the "Stub" tag in the tag list. Similarly, if you add an image to an article tagged as needing one, be sure to remove the "Requires Image" tag. The tag list is multi-select, so be sure to control-click (or command-click on a Mac) to remove that tag, or you'll de-select all of the other tags instead.

Somewhere else to look would be to read over any of the stuff in Journals or DRC Research and make sure everything is spelled correctly, because I've caught a few transcription errors in the DRC notebooks in the past, and there's bound to be more of them (I know because I typed most of them out myself wink.gif). If the misspelling is in the original document, be sure to add "[sic]" beside it so we know going forward that it doesn't need to be corrected.

If you need any more help, let me know smile.gif.

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users