• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

GoArch needs your help. By which I mean I need your help.

My problem, currently, is that I just don't have the same amount of time to devote to this by myself that I used to. I first created the Archive when I'd just graduated from high school back in 2000. I was a teenager without a care in the world, and it was no huge problem for me to spend an entire weekend without sleep trying to hack a particularly ornery forum mod into compliance. Now, I have several other major projects vying for my attention (including Unwritten and SAND), a full-time job, and a wife who would very much like me to not completely ignore her every hour of every day. GoArch cannot be suitably maintained by just me anymore.

So, how can you help?

If you're a PHP developer interested in lending me a hand with building some more advanced Wiki-like features in exchange for copious thank-yous and maybe a couple dozen bucks via PayPal, please get in touch. You can email me at guildmaster@guildofarchivists.org.

If you're someone who is good at the whole "writing and codifying of editorial standards" thing, please get in touch on the GoArch forums where we can discuss what needs to be written down, where, how, and why. It's my hope that having some established rules and editorial standards will (perhaps counterintuitively) make people more likely to contribute than just leaving everything wide-open and super-flexible. It's always been my approach that some information is better than no information; cross-links, formatting standards, and nifty template widgets could come later. Unfortunately, that approach hasn't really born any fruit, so let's try adding some structure and see if that helps at all.

If you're someone who is good at copy-editing, please drop by the Archive and start perusing articles to see what can be fixed up. There's plenty to do, and if you have questions, please ask in the forums!

If you're someone who is a prolific screenshot-taker, please consider going through the Archive and seeing what articles might benefit from having an image attached to them. When it comes to Uru and End of Ages, I'd prefer images that can be obtained without hacking the clients (so no flymode, and no "photos" of characters taken in the Avatar Closet), but honestly I'll take just about anything you feel like contributing. Again, if you have questions or need help, please ask!

If you're someone who knows a thing or two about the Myst universe, please consider contributing your knowledge to the Archive wherever there might be holes to fill.

Finally, if you find something incorrect on the Archive and you don't feel comfortable enough with the interface to fix it yourself, please report it. There are several ways to do this:

1. You can leave a comment on the article itself, sort of like Wikipedia's Talk pages.
  2. You can post about it in the Guild Projects & Archive Discussion forum.
  3. (Not preferred, but still available): You can report an article to the moderators by clicking the Report link.

Please don't email me about missing/broken/incomplete articles, and don't gripe at me over IM about it. Post it somewhere publicly where anyone who has the time and inclination can fix it (it'll probably still end up being me 99% of the time, but at least there'll be a public record of it).

All of these things do require an account on GoArch in order to participate. It's free to sign up, I swear I will never sell or otherwise distribute your personal information (like your email address), and you can even log in through Twitter if you'd rather not have yet another account to have to deal with. (Also, I know the sign-up process is working, because I just had to clean out a few hundred spam posts yesterday, but if you have trouble, please email me at guildmaster@guildofarchivists.org.)

There is one thing you can do that doesn't require an account, though: spread the word. I get the distinct sense that the reason there are now two competing Myst wikis on the internet in addition to mine is that not enough people are aware that GoArch exists.

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

#2 Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Pony In Chief

• Grand Master
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Are you someone who likes to write Help:Contents and Wikipedia:Guide pages? Do you know someone who does? If so, please post here (or send them over) to get access to the new MediaWiki section that I'm building to replace the current IP.Content-based Archive. It's far enough along now that I want to start getting the dry documentation and technical stuff written up before focusing on moving the actual Archive content itself. Again, if you're interested in helping out, please let me know by replying to this topic or emailing guildmaster@guildofarchivists.org, and I'll PM you the link to the new wiki.

Thanks!

Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users